Good news! We got our first day back (we think). In other words, we have now visited Erlan 7 days (instead of 6) and we only have 8 more to go for our initial bonding period. Yea!
Erlan met us in the hallway today. He saw us for the first time with our bulky coats, boots, and backpack on. I think it kind of surprised/scared him to see us in our outerwear. He sat down and cried again.
Today he was dressed completely in girl clothes. Pink pants. Pink shirt. Peach sweater. I wonder if the caregivers are trying to hurry us along in giving him his own clothes? About half-way through the visit, we put his new boy clothes on. He threw a fit while we changed him, but he was fine once we had his new outfit on. He looked adorable in his new overalls. We had a hard time getting a good picture of him in his new outfit, so I posted the best one I could find.
He wasn’t as rambunctious today as he was yesterday; however, he was still all over the room. Today, he tried to raid our backpack to get his banana. He pulled stuff out of it, which was a first. He found his crayons and spent some quality time taking the crayons out of his bag and putting them back in. He gave us his high-pitched fake cry when we tried to share the crayons.
When he does something cute or good, we will clap for him. Today, he clapped for himself which was another first.
He also likes to imitate Ben. Ben will put his hands up by his head with his thumbs in his ears and wave his fingers. Erlan tries to imitate it, which is hilarious. It’s hard to get a picture of it since Erlan is sitting on my lap while Ben is showing him how to gesture. Obviously Ben can’t take the picture.
Erlan met us in the hallway today. He saw us for the first time with our bulky coats, boots, and backpack on. I think it kind of surprised/scared him to see us in our outerwear. He sat down and cried again.
Today he was dressed completely in girl clothes. Pink pants. Pink shirt. Peach sweater. I wonder if the caregivers are trying to hurry us along in giving him his own clothes? About half-way through the visit, we put his new boy clothes on. He threw a fit while we changed him, but he was fine once we had his new outfit on. He looked adorable in his new overalls. We had a hard time getting a good picture of him in his new outfit, so I posted the best one I could find.He wasn’t as rambunctious today as he was yesterday; however, he was still all over the room. Today, he tried to raid our backpack to get his banana. He pulled stuff out of it, which was a first. He found his crayons and spent some quality time taking the crayons out of his bag and putting them back in. He gave us his high-pitched fake cry when we tried to share the crayons.
When he does something cute or good, we will clap for him. Today, he clapped for himself which was another first.
He also likes to imitate Ben. Ben will put his hands up by his head with his thumbs in his ears and wave his fingers. Erlan tries to imitate it, which is hilarious. It’s hard to get a picture of it since Erlan is sitting on my lap while Ben is showing him how to gesture. Obviously Ben can’t take the picture.Shortly after putting on Erlan's new outfit, we heard pounding coming from outside the room. Yerlan went over to the door to investigate the noise.
Erlan also discovered the camera for the first time today. He wanted to play with it. He gave me his most charming smile, but it still didn’t work. I wouldn’t let him play with the camera. Poor kid. Yes, the unhappy face is due to the fact we wouldn't give him the camera.
Erlan also discovered the camera for the first time today. He wanted to play with it. He gave me his most charming smile, but it still didn’t work. I wouldn’t let him play with the camera. Poor kid. Yes, the unhappy face is due to the fact we wouldn't give him the camera.Visit 2
Despite my best efforts to dress Erlan as a boy, the peach sweater reappeared at this afternoon’s visit. Even though he has on 3 tops and overalls, the caretakers do not think that he is dressed warmly enough. I guess I need to find a sweater for him.

This afternoon we had some more firsts! They sell mandarin oranges at the local market. They are so tasty! We wanted to see if Erlan would eat a slice of orange, so Ben tried to give him one. He refused, so Ben gave it to me. I made a big production of eating it and liking it. Ben gave me another slice. On the third slice, Erlan took it and put it in his mouth. He didn’t eat it, but it was progress!
Erlan later discovered my water bottle when he was investigating
the contents of our backpack. He knew to unscrew the lid, but he couldn’t do it. He handed it to me and watched as I took a big drink of water. He then tried it. He made a mess, but he tried it!
We were also able to give him his afternoon snack. Ben accidentally bought Kafir, which is the unsweetened yogurt that Erlan drinks. Ben thought he was buying milk. When he didn’t like the taste, Ben decided to show it to our driver and interpreter to see what he had purchased. We found out it’s the stuff Erlan drinks! Serendipity baby!
We gave Erlan a cup of it (not a sippee cup, but a regular cup). You should have seen him drink it. He didn’t spill a drop. He had the biggest milk moustache that you’ve ever seen after he finished.
He had a great time throwing blocks again. He throws them so quickly, and he has surprisingly good aim. It’s amazing. Hopefully we find a new activity before we fly home. I don’t think our fellow travelers will enjoy the throwing as much as we do.

This afternoon we had some more firsts! They sell mandarin oranges at the local market. They are so tasty! We wanted to see if Erlan would eat a slice of orange, so Ben tried to give him one. He refused, so Ben gave it to me. I made a big production of eating it and liking it. Ben gave me another slice. On the third slice, Erlan took it and put it in his mouth. He didn’t eat it, but it was progress!
Erlan later discovered my water bottle when he was investigating
the contents of our backpack. He knew to unscrew the lid, but he couldn’t do it. He handed it to me and watched as I took a big drink of water. He then tried it. He made a mess, but he tried it!We were also able to give him his afternoon snack. Ben accidentally bought Kafir, which is the unsweetened yogurt that Erlan drinks. Ben thought he was buying milk. When he didn’t like the taste, Ben decided to show it to our driver and interpreter to see what he had purchased. We found out it’s the stuff Erlan drinks! Serendipity baby!
We gave Erlan a cup of it (not a sippee cup, but a regular cup). You should have seen him drink it. He didn’t spill a drop. He had the biggest milk moustache that you’ve ever seen after he finished.He had a great time throwing blocks again. He throws them so quickly, and he has surprisingly good aim. It’s amazing. Hopefully we find a new activity before we fly home. I don’t think our fellow travelers will enjoy the throwing as much as we do.

On the way home, we saw two trucks that were stuck--big time. It looks like one truck had a tire that went into a huge pot hole. I'm not sure if you can tell the damage
from the photo.
from the photo.



11 comments:
Happy to see that his new "fish" pants fit perfect!
who told you you got your first day back? Yeah, he drank for you!!!!! yeah, love the overalls. I'm glad he is coming around. Did you give the clothes to the orphanage that you brought for Yerlan originally? Are there a lot of kids shops in the open air market? Are they comparable to US prices? I can't wait to go shopping for him. :)
Karla and Ben:
That baby is so cute! I really love the overalls! Do you have a sense of his height and weight? I hope that you will some how keep your blog for him so that when he gets older he can read it -- your descriptions are so wonderful. I find myself checking everyday to see how the day went for the three of you! What a magical time :-)
Maybe there they don't have the pink=girls, blue=boys programming. :o) Either way, he's pretty darn cute. Doesn't matter what he's wearing.
Such a cutie. And am I thinking too much like an American? When you said he is a good thrower, I immediately thought, "Baseball player!"
Someone wrote that this is a magical time. It certainly seems to be. I am jealous of every family member and friend that gets to meet Erlan before me. You have a whole community of people who are quite attached. What a boy! Everyone is hanging on every word you write -- delirious with happiness when he sips water, throws blocks, hugs Mama, imitates Papa, etc. What's even more wonderful is that the blog is being written by both of you. Do you have an address? Is there time to send packages or is the postal system slow there? Please advise. Much love, Mary
I am glad you are getting the first day back. Every little bit gets you three closer to being home! I have a funny story for Ben. Today Carter made Cooper mad and he called him something we couldn't understand. Carter said it was a new bad word. After making him repeat himself several times we realized that the new bad word was CHUM-BUCKET HEAD! I died laughing and then we told him if he says it again he will not get to watch anymore sponge bob. At this comment Cole made a gasping sound and proceeded to yell sponge bob at the top of his lungs! And that is my story! Later.
Please more stories/pictures of Ben about town. Harrassing locals, buying a can of dip, etc.
Can I be his kindergarten teacher please, please, please! What a doll. Love all the pics and stories.
We need to organize a clothing drive to send those poor little boys clothes:)
I absolutely love reading your blog!!!!
PS I'm waiting for a poop post;)
Do you get to bring the girl clothes home? All of our boys will adore them. :)
My new nephew is just incredibly smart.. drinking out of his cup without the lid and all. He looks adorable with his milk mustache! There is a juice here that is a mix of apple, orange, and banana. Think he would like that?
Give him kisses for me.
Post a Comment