Hello,
Its Monday morning here and we have about ten more mandatory bonding days. Then we have to wait to go to court, which can take about 5 to 20 days. There, we will be interviewed by a judge to determine if we are fit to be parents. Yes, we will still visit Erlan, but wont get to take him home yet.
Some of you may ask, why 5 to 20 days til court? I DON’T KNOW and yes, believe it or not I asked. I ask lots of questions to no avail. It is just the way it is. (yes, I think that is a stupid answer also)
BUT, this is why we picked this country. We liked the bonding period. We had read and studied other adoption processes. This one seemed to be the best for the child. He gets to know us in his safe world, over a long period of time.
For example, we have six weeks to teach him to drink water and our juice. This is a big deal, its hard to tell a little guy that is tummy hurts cause he cant poop and he needs to drink what we show him.
From our limited information, we think he drinks some kind of unsweetened yogurt (milk??) and compote, which is boiled fruit and water. Today, I think, we get to start feeding Erlan his snack. So we hope to see what liquid he’s been drinking.
Life here
Everything is starting to melt. Yesterday there were puddles every where. It was like 35 degrees. Beautiful day. There is lots of outside activity here. Even on the cold days, everyone is walking. When I go outside, I can count at least hundred people walking and bumper to bumper traffic. Everyone is going somewhere.
I have been trying the local cuisine. My favorite , so far, is ‘sum sa’. You can get them from the store but the stret vendors are fresher. It is a very light pastry like phillo dough thing that they put meat, cheese, or potato in. If they took the meat out and substituted apples and icing, you would have a turnover. They cost 40 cents and I cant eat two of them. I want to try and get one made with meat and cheese and potato. We’ll call it ‘sum sa for ben’ or ‘sum sa for fat American guy who points and smiles all the time’.
We are slowly getting our bearings. Every street seems to be lined with 6 to 9 story apartment buildings. The front first story usually has a small business in it, like a mom and pop grocery, a notary, or an internet store. I cant tell you more because I cant read the signs.You enter the apartments thru the back . We are on the sixth and have windows only facing the front with a small balcony. We have an elevator but only used it the first day for our luggage. We are trying to get in shape for Erlan; lots of stairs.
Until later,ben
If he were still alive
12 years ago


4 comments:
I love reading your blog everyday. It makes you seem not so far away. We will start putting out positve thoughts for a 5 day court date. We want Erlan home where we can spoil him also!
Ben, if anyone can get someone to make a special sum sa it would be you. Keep trying! Take lots of pics of the town and culture for Erlan's scrapbook.
The sum sa sounds great--maybe even better than pringles! I will try and make it by your house today or tomorrow to look to see what your book says about juice. Last time I went by I couldn't get the front door locked and had to call Amy to the rescue. Dad is anxious to read your blogs so I'm hoping he gets his computer today or tomorrow. Mikey is still working on mine. The old one isn't working again so I'm depending on the new one. Love you much
I bet if you try real hard you can get mushrooms and onions too. Have you all ventured outside of aktobe? Can you see the mountains? I hope he drinks for you today and I'm with Debbie sending positive thoughts for a 5 day court date. I can't wait to hear and see what he did today.
i love the family pics. he is so animated in his pics . so serious and then so happy. i told keely she could read to the boys and she said she would have to have her friends carly and hanna help her. amy said we could send some clothes if we have an address. he needs some nike tenny's so he can outrun mom and dad. it is great there are some american couples to relate to and share your experiences. the food doesn't sound too bad. i am anxious to see more pics of the city and people. this is just an unbelievably wonderful time in your lives. you are so lucky!. looking forward to more pics and comments. love mom
Post a Comment