Thursday, March 13, 2008

Ben about questions


Hello all,
This is to try and answer some of the questions people have been asking.
- Erlan is pronounced like hair with a y, YAIR, and then lan like lawn. So YAIR-lawn. Please practice, I had to do a lot of talking to convince Karla to keep his name. She thought everyone would pronounce it wrong and he would be teased. I told her none of this would happen and that he would be proud of his name. If you agree with Karla, I will ban you from this blog. Just practice with your husbands, YAIR-lawn. See, it’s easy.
- No news yet on a court date.
- We have not found pull-ups yet. We are hoping we wont need them, he’s doing great so far. Did find diapers they are $15 for 30.
- No we don’t know what to expect with Erlan’s transitions. He has blown us away in the last 17 days and we probably have about 25 days more left and then about a week with him here in our apartment before we get on an airplane to come home. We are wondering if we should take a day in Frankfurt or just push through and get it over with. Hoping to hear from and talk to some veterans on this dilemma.
- Yes the caregivers have been talking to Erlan and he has been talking to them a lot this last week. He tells the other kids he has a mommy and a daddy.
- No, I haven’t bought a can of dip in a good many years. I also don’t drink soda and rarely drink alcohol. My lifestyle has changed a little in the last 15 years. Still good lookin’, still like to laugh, but now a lot more boring. Some would say Karla has been a good influence. Some being Karla.
- We are doing one trip. I can honestly say I wouldn’t leave him for anything. Some couples have to do two trips (they leave after court during the appeal period), but Karla and I were lucky enough to do one trip, because of Karla’s great co-workers and a lot of great family members picking up the slack for us. THANK YOU ALL!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
- When we get home, everyone can act as they normally do. He is like any other two year old. He’s leery of strange people. Well maybe some of you should act different. He likes me now, so he’ll surely accept you all for who you are some day.
- Yes, the interpreters go with us to the markets, twice so far. They are always asking if we need anything. They have also taken us to several restaurants, to an art gallery, to a museum, and to flea markets.
- Our driver knows very little English, though I think he understands a lot. He is very nice. I bring him a sum sa every morning. He says ‘benny love sum sa’.
- Yes, they have public transportation here. Buses and even electric buses that run off of overhead lines. In Almaty, they are completing a subway system. We are trying to bribe Bayana into taking us on the train for a 6 hour round trip to see the countryside some Sunday.
- No, we can not take Erlan outside until after the appeal period. Yes, he has been outside during the summer. We look out the windows a lot. He will now sit on my shoulders.
- Yes, we have a cell phone to call the 10 people we know here who speak English. Wonder if I ought get Morrat’s, the sum sa guy, and the crazy meat ladies’ numbers
- We have a little Canon elph powershot sd1000 camera. It fits into my pocket and it takes pretty good video with sound. I have been taking about 200 pics and about 2 minutes of video a day and then downloading them to the computer. So when we get home, you all can see every one of them.
If I left any out, sorry, remind me and I’ ll try again.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I told you what Court said. Did you mow Yair-lawn today? All of the Marshall people should be able to handle his name quite well. I love his name and anyway if he's acting LIKE YOU,then they are going to find other things to pick on him about!(hehehe) & LIKE YOU Erlan won't care!!! Soo it's all good!!! What about his middle name? Are you going to go with Floyd? I'm glad you are taking lots of pics and cant wait for the slide show when you get home. How was your meat and cheese sum sa?

Amy said...

I just looked up the meaning of Erlan's name. It's origin is Kazakh and means: Courageous fellow. Resolute man; Brave, Courageous, hero. So there you go! I think it's perfect!

Graham Cracker said...

Is the world really ready for TWO Bens. Pity the teachers. Oh hell, I'll have two of them on my hands.
Lots Of Luck, Karla
Dad

sjdking said...

We are back i LOVED catching up on the blogs! Glad everything is going great. Hope to meet the little guy soon!

Regina said...

OMG, you crack me up.

Yair-lawn sounds so elegant and even royal. It just rolls off the tongue. I dig it!

Maybe I missed this in an earlier post, but what is sum sa?

Anonymous said...

I am working with Mackenzi, Gavin and Brian & Lance on the pronunciation. It isn't going very well, but we'll keep trying..

ME: "YAIR lawn."
KIDS: "YER LEN" (that's originally what I taught them..)
ME: "YAIR.. rhymes with hair..Lawn."
KIDS: "YAIR LEN."
ME: YAIR Lawn."
KIDS: "YOUR Lawn."
ME (shouting): "YAIR LAWN!"
KIDS (shouting): "YER LEN!"

We didn't make much progress.

AJ said...

I like that Amy looked up Erlan's name - cool meaning for sure. Karla, people won't make fun of him; he's too brave, courageous, and heroic :).

DO NOT take him to Frankfurt for the day. Yes, it would be great to have the time to adjust his body clock, but there is one teensy problem......he will not yet be a U.S. citizen. He can't get out of the airport without a ton of paperworking and visaing done by you in Kaz. He will be a Kaz citizen until he touches down on U.S. soil.

Sounds like you and E.J. are doing well.
Andrea

Matt said...

Thanks for the info Ben! I've already been practicing saying Erlan's name out loud. :-) Oh, and awesome job showing him how to stuff his cups into his pants - that is too funny! All three of you look so happy together - you and Karla are going to be GREAT parents!

EE said...

I have another question for you. Do you think the market women shave their pits?
Inquiring minds want to know...