Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day 5, Sunday visit

Today we only had one visit with Erlan. It was another great visit. He was all over the room today. He threw his blocks at Daddy (see the picture!) He stacked his blocks. He pounded on the cute kid in the mirror. He kicked the blocks (on purpose). He played with his book.

Erlan will let Ben tickle him and play peek-a-boo with him, but he will not let Ben hold him. He cries if Ben walks over to him. Cry is the wrong word. It’s more of a high-pitched fake cry.

Erlan does not know yet if he likes being turned upside down. He giggles for awhile, then he gets upset. His little brain just hasn't quite figured out what it means when adults play with him.


Ben gave Erlan banana again today. He still loves it. About half-way through our visit, Ben asked Erlan if he wanted a banana. Erlan clearly responded “Da”. Ben asked again, and Erlan said “Da” again. He got the banana. (Da means yes.)

Erlan knew that the banana was in a plastic bag by our backpack. He walked over to the bag to try to get the banana. He backed off when we said “jak” (no). Here are a couple of pictures of our sneaky banana boy.

He then decided to test his limits. He kept walking over to the door to walk out. I told him “no” and “jak”, but he kept going. I’d go get him, and he’d give me the biggest smile. It was very hard to be stern with him when he gave me the big smile. He then wanted to be picked up. I figure that he’s about 2 years behind on hugs and kisses, so I indulged him. :-)

Today, he gave me a spontaneous hug. I almost missed it b/c I was trying to take pictures of the funny face that he was making as he was throwing things to Daddy.

When the nanny came to get him, she saw the book of farm animals that we brought for him. She sat down, went through the book, and told Erlan the Kazakh names for the animals. She made some pretty realistic animal sounds (an especially good goat). She then had Erlan shake Daddy’s hand and Mommy’s hand. I need to ask Bayana her name and ask to take her picture. She is always so nice to us.

The new room we are in is some sort of gymnasium. It has two hanging ladders. Erlan discovered them today. He enjoyed pulling them and banging them together. He figured out that if he feel down he could use them to pull himself up.









Out on the town

After our visit, we went to a mall with the two other American couples and Bayana. The mall has an indoor component and an outdoor area. We ate at the mall food stand. We had crepes and beer. Ok, Ben had beer. I still don’t like it.

Bayana then took us all over the indoor mall in search of an outfit for Erlan. The mall was very warm. Ben was about to melt into a puddle. We finally found an outfit and then we headed outside. We found another outfit outside for about half the price. Erlan will finally have some boy clothes! I still want to find some shoes for him. Here's a picture of the outdoor market to end the post.



13 comments:

Matthew Ruley said...

He is so cute and animated! Congrats - what joy!

Matthew Ruley said...

He is so cute and animated! Congrats - what joy!

Deb said...

I enjoyed talking to you! Your time may be going fast but our days are slow -- waiting for a new post on Erlan and waiting to actually get our hands on him. The cousins are all excited although Kolton is a little confused on how you got him out. I will leave that for your explanation, but I am wondering about the visual going through his head.

Graham Cracker said...

Hi: The pics sure add to the blogs--what a great way to get to know him! He is so precious. We went shopping yesterday and I'm waiting for a size--would you send the measurements and maybe we can go from that! It sounds like your days are going fast. I sent dad his computer so he will be able to see and read your blogs soon (probably by Tuesday). Love all 3 of you.

Alysa said...

I'm so glad things are going so well for the three of you. Erlan is adorable and is definitely starting to come out of his shell. I love the expression on his face as he's hefting those blocks at Daddy! Just precious!

Alysa

Jennifer said...

He looks like a good solid 2T to me. I can't wait to go shopping! :o)

Jen

Amy said...

Oh my gosh he is a hoot! Have you showed him how to do a tripod or summer saults yet? Does he have a gap between his big toe and his second toe? Do you all have an address? I am starting to feel better, still a little weak. But Karla, you need to mark this down for when Ben, you, or little Erlan are sick. Mom called me yesterday asking, just wanting to do something, anything to make me feel better. Of course nothing sounds good, but Court pipes up that she thinks a chocolate sheet cake would make me feel better. Low and behold @6:30 we had a chocolate sheet cake. Mom of course, when I questioned her what she was doing, because Courtney was just kidding (not really) says well your dad agreed with Dr. Hall's prescription. Thought you would enjoy that, wish I could share it with you all. Wonder if Erlan will love choc sheet cake as much as we all do? I love reading all of your posts and seeing the pics. I am so happy, I don't even know this little guy, but pics are worth a 1000 words and I think he's pretty incredible too. Know that he is loved and will get so much more love when you all come home. I hope we aren't too overwhelming to him. I'm still picking you up from the airport. Big HUGS! Love ya!

Deb said...

Hey, this is Jenny. Finally today I got to see all the pics everyone was talking about. He is so cute; I just wanna pinch his little cheeks! I'm sure the little guy isn't very used to seeing men around - Ben must be so exotic to him! Keep the faith, it won't be long before we can't pry Erlan off Ben. I didn't think about the differences in food. That is kind of an unexpected challenge. On the other hand it could be a god send - you won't have to snatch the candy and cookies away to get him to eat his bread and veggies. Well, in five days we get to find out if little Erlan will have another boy cousin or a little girl cousin to play with. We'll let you know!
Miss you all so much already,
Jenny

Lynn Patterson said...

I had been checking the blog about 10 times a day -- but now I think I have your routine down. I love reading about Erlan. It is a beautiful thing -- seeing all the love in the room during your sessions with Erlan. Not just between the two of you and Erlan --but between the two of you, too. He is a lucky boy! And he is beautiful, too. Thank you so much for sharing!

Regina said...

Your little banana stealer is beyond precious! Love his very animated facial expressions. Yes, indulge him with tons of hugs and kisses. He is a very lucky little boy.

Anonymous said...

Well I just got to catch up on your blogs from the weekend. He is coming along so quickly. He really seems to be getting used to the idea of you. He is an adorable, special little boy.

You know, I spent all kinds of time trying to get the boys to NOT drink so much juice and to drink water instead. This may be a good thing with Erlan. Juice just rots their teeth anyway. :)

Can't wait to hear more. Thanks for all the pictures!

Chris & Christy said...

A banana thief hu! :)

It is so fun to hear that you are going out on the town with Bayana, it feels just like yesterday that we were there and then again it feels like we were never really there too.

Christy

Anonymous said...

Hi
Its Daddle, Dont be in a hurry to ruin the Kaz Kid with sweets. Real yogert is good for him. What a joy this little fart is going to be. I'll be able to spoil hell out of him in just moments. Love your blogs and hearing from both of you. How do you say Grandpa in Kurd or whatever they speek to him.I look forward to your return with # 7 dad