Hello all. (Hey Stork, great name for a blog, but Karla came up with the same thing about four days ago. I had just not gotten around to posting.)Apartment living is not as bad as I had thought it would be. This city is bustling ,at least our street. There must be a huge population density here. For example, on the first floor of our apartment, there is a ‘convenience store’. It has milk, bread, beer, vodka, wine, butter, soda, water, candy, chips and a whole lot more stuff I don’t know in a 15 foot by 20 foot room. There is another identical store across the street. A one minute walk away, I know of another. There could be lots more, but since I don’t read Kazakh, I miss out . I usually just walk up to the door and look in the little porthole window to find out. Yesterday, I found an appliance store and bought a garlic press. There are not many plate glass fronts.
For any future adoptee parents (faps), I like this apartment and location. More on that in later posts.

Right now, I have a walking range of about a ¼ mile. Reason why is there are supermarkets about a quarter of a mile from us in opposite directions. These are called anbars (in Russian, it looks like “ahbap”). They all have blue fronts and are easy to identify. I don’t know if it is a chain or what, but I see them everywhere. If I walk west, my street ends at an anbar and tees with an even busier street. The business center is on it. I don’t know why they call it the business center, Karla and I went and it was a bunch of
expensive clothing stores. Maybe it is where the business people shop.If I walk east about 1 minute from our apartment, I come to a market on the corner. It is huge. It is three stories plus a basement. It has about 40 stores in it with toys, clothes, and whatnot. Attached to it is a bazaar. It is an open type flea market. I’d say there are 80 different vendors here. Some are even in a heated building, others with a roof, and still others totally outside.
You can get anything from a toilet seat to a carrot. This is where I hang out. This is also where I get my sum sa.There are a group of six women who sell meat and cheese. There are three on the right and three on the left. I call it the gauntlet. When I first started going they would jabber and try to solicit me. I don’t understand how it works. It is six identical cases with identical foods. I don’t know if they work together or what. Now I wave and they all wave back. I think they like me. They fit right into my idea of a stereotypical Russian woman. The one gal has a full mouth of gold teeth. None of the women understand a bit of English and I know maybe 6 Russian words now.
We woke up this morning to 4 inches of new snow. It was actually kind of pretty and refreshing. Everything had been melting and it just felt really dirty and drab.By the way, in the picture with the little girl with the umbrella , she is standing next to a cigaarette stand. Marlboros are a $1.00 a pack. The only two cheap things I have found here are cigs and vodka.


7 comments:
Thanks for the mini-tour! I'd love to know more about your apartment. I don't know if we will be able to request the same one, but you never know.
I once read that if you learn how to say "I am happy" in another language it makes people smile and be more open to you. It's something like "Ya Shahst Leafwe." Try saying that to the vendors. ;-)
I'm telling you, that little Nurlan is going to break some hearts. He's like the Kazakh version of Brad Pitt. All the girls will be swooning!
Shall I Fed-Ex a box of Bisquick? :o) And btw, pancakes DO make it feel better!
Sounds like the apartment is in a great location and you have become members of the neighborhood! How very fun! Six Russian words notwithstanding. ;
Thanks for the tour!
Alysa
Take your Russian book because they look like very nice women. I love the universal smile and wave. Happiness!! Where are your translators? I bet those women could chat your leg off. They probably have the best gossip in town. You ought to take them some tea or coffee. Have they made you a meat, cheese, & potato sum sa yet? Where will your adventures take you today? Karla, don't work all day. Go make a snow angel in the fresh snow and a snow man. I bought Erlan some bug pajamas, pretty sure they will fit. Worked last night, pretty uneventful. Court just fixed an awesome breakfast, so now I'm stuffed and would love a nap, but probably won't as usual. Not sure what I'm doing today. The girls are going to the lake to stay at Tina's. Mom went to the city to watch Gage wrestle. I would love to be there roaming the streets trying to communicate with Kazahks with you all. I love adventures. Heck worst thing we could always just smoke cheap cigs and drink vodka :) Love ya!
Ben-
I'm thinking that you may be able to pick up some quick cash, if you play your cards right;)
I love this. Too funny! I just picture Ben giving a big ol Sloppy Jones smile and wave at the crazy meat ladies.
KEEP BELIEVING
Cheap cigs and vodka, how bad can the place be?! Sounds like paradise. Or like the Southern US.
Ok ok, jk, as the now-grown-up baby cousin I have to say things like that. Don't worry I won't say things like that around Erlan (until he's older :).
Post a Comment