Monday, March 10, 2008

Day 14

Hello all, one more day to mark down finished. Tomorrow is the end of the mandatory bonding days. What does that mean? I don’t know, except now we get to wait for a court hearing. When is that? Still don’t know; sometime in the future, hopefully near. We will just continue on seeing Erlan until we know more.

By the way Erlan was fine today. He continues to amaze us, for instance he put on his own socks and drank some juice today. Watching him walk around ‘two-fistin’ it’ with his juice and milk was pretty funny. This kid gets serious about his food and drink. Karla also thought this was the first day that he looked sad when he left us. He is starting to babble a lot. We have some video of it, that someday we will show when we have faster internet. (we had to take the peek-a-boo thing off, because it pretty much stopped our computer when we would get online)


He is just really coming out. Our translator said the nannies never could get him to smile. He laughs all the time with us, and not from us just tickling him. He has this game where he does something and Karla tells him no and he gets this devilish grin on his face and just laughs and runs away. (seriously, I did not teach him this, but I do chorus in on the laughing with him.) He is becoming all boy. Its goin’ to be so much fun.

He is letting me pick him up more and more, but he is still a mommas boy. I am trying to get him comfortable with sitting on my shoulders. The kid is a chunk and mom gets tired. She probably holds him half of our visits (about two hours a day). He loves ‘ma ma’ and believe me Karla loves him. The game described above is also done a lot so ‘ma ma’ will pick him up.

Well, better stop here and let you all get back to work (or on to your next favorite blog site). Remember we like comments. I think Karla gets tired of hearing only my voice and plus we don’t know if some of you are even reading or found this thing.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am absolutely amazed that Erlan can put on his own socks!

Tammy said...

Hi, this is Tammy (Andrea LMI) had you invite us to your blog, as we wait patiently. You cannot imagine how inspiring it has been to read about your experience so far. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

The photos are great that you guys have been updating on your site. Erlan seems to be really enjoying hanging out with mom and dad. I have been telling Nicholas about Erlan and I finally got him to say Erlan's name. I myself cannot wait until you guys bring Erlan home. We miss you guys and can't wait for you to return.

Lynn Patterson said...

I found that by double-clicking on Erlan's pictures I can see a larger version. He really is a beautiful child.

Better go. My baby is poised over the dog's water dish -- as though ready to take a plunge.

Anonymous said...

He is an independent little guy. I can't believe he can put on his socks. He'll probably have a thing or two to teach Brian and Lance! He looks so happy.. does he watch for you now? I bet he really looks forward to your visits.

Millz said...

Hi guys, I am so happy to see pictures of you and Erlan, he seems very happy. I can’t wait to see everyone I have so many loud and fun toys to give him. Just to let you know we are having a girl.

stork said...

Hey guys,
Just catching up with your happenings as Heather and I just got back from Florida this afternoon.

"Ben About Town" is everything I imagined it would be. "Ben without Pants" is another blog that may or may not be that popular. Karla is probably looking forward to getting back to the states where she can turn that thermostat WAAAY DOWN!

I knew that Erlan would not be able to resist your charms for much longer. That has got to feel good. An important part of being a dad is being the best amusement park you can be, with new rides appearing and others being faded out.

Glad we are caught up with your activities and looking forward to the next time.

Graham Cracker said...

Hi Ben And Karla!
I can vouch for Julie and Louise, they read your blogs Daily. As well as MaMa, KJ Sis and all the mills clan. I check twice a day for the latest updates. My dish washers went home so now I must do my own cooking and laundry service and everything. Found out that if you use the same thingh over and over it cuts down on the monthly dish washing. The little fart looks so ready to spoil I can hardly wait.
Love to the three of you
Dad

Anonymous said...

Ben, I can just hear you maniacally chuckling and evilly salivating as you say "He is becoming all boy. Its goin' be so much fun." I'm going to have fun watching you train him in the ways of the Jones boys...

Seriously though he looks awesome and y'all look so happy. Exciting!

Jennifer said...

The first time I told Seth about Erlan, I said "This is your new friend Erlan, and we'll meet him soon." He, of course, heard "...eat him soon," so now everytime he finds me reading this blog and looking at pictures, he'll giggle and ask me when we get to eat Erlan. I promise you, I won't let him eat Erlan. Tho we may give him lots and lots of smoochies. :o)

AJ said...

Seriously, the nannies said he couldn't smile before you got there? I was just saying to someone that I couldn't believe how smiley this kid is.

Smart sock kid maybe can read his parents blog and is smiling because he knows there is good fried chicken in his future.

By the way, send some of that to Chicago when you get home :)
AJ

Amy said...

ok, up to date on all your posts. I missed them being gone this weekend. I don't know where to begin, but i have finally stopped laughing about karla packing pancake mix and truffles but only 2short sleeve shirts for you. Now that's funny!!! I bet she has ding dongs in one of those bags she's hiding from you? Are you all at Willie Wonkas? That room looks awesome. Where did you get all the balloons? Erlan looks really happy as do you all. It seems like he has changed sooo much in just a short time. You can see it in his face. Letting you hold him, putting on his own socks, drinking juice, eating bananas, laughing and smiling. What great milestones! I wish I had some to share with you, but nothing exciting this weekend. Went to the lake but will share stories off blog with you later. My truck turned 335k.
1. Have you taken your interpreter to the store/bazaar with you?
2. Does your driver speak english?
3. Do they have buses or public transportation?
4. Can you take Erlan outside to play in the snow?
5. Who named Erlan? His mom or someone in the orphanage?
6. Does he have a middle and/or last name?
7. What does his name mean?
8. Do you know anything about Erlan's biological father?
9. Have you taught Erlan to pop his toes?
10. Have you made your infamous green curry chicken?
11. Did you all get a cell phone?

As far as easy sweets, what about puppy chow, 7 layer bars, rice krispy treats, peanut butter cornflake, peanut clusters. You could also make a coke cake (u don't need baking powder). If you want recipes, let me know. I will chat with you tomorrow morning. Yippee you made it through the bonding period! It has really gone by fast. Now the court date, I pray that happens really fast for you guys. Big hugs, Big smiles, and Big laughs!!!!

Alysa said...

Day 14 already! Amazing that your bonding period is nearly over. Hope you get a quick court date.

That smiley kid puttin' on his own socks is wild. Smart (and cute) one you've got there!

Regina said...

I can't belive your bonding period is almost over! I hope you get your court date very soon. Erlan seems like such a smart, happy and loving little boy. I can see why you guys are over the moon!