Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 8

Today’s post is a bit behind schedule b/c we went out tonight to celebrate Gen & Joel’s and Kami & Eric’s court appearance. Everything went well and they got a decision very quickly (within 5 minutes)! CONGRATULATIONS to the new families!!! We’re so happy for you!

Today was another day with only one visit. We saw him in the afternoon. He had to go to the doctor for shots or something in the morning. He was somewhat of a fussbudget this afternoon… maybe it was the shots???

He drank his Kafir (yucky unsweetened yogurt) from his sippee cup! Ben showed him how, and Erlan imitated Ben. He then drank about ¼ liter of water from my diet coke bottle. Yesterday he imitated us. Today he drank! We were so excited. We think that he enjoyed the water.

We also ate another orange in front of him. We ate a couple slices before he reached for a slice. He did not enjoy the citrus taste, but I’m sure he’s had nothing like it before. We’re going to keep trying it. I read somewhere that you have to introduce a food 9 times before a child will eat it. We’re also going to try carrots tomorrow.

He still loves bananas. In the picture, he is swallowing a big bit of banana (really a little too big for him).





We bought a ball for him today. He enjoys throwing things so much that we figured he might really like a ball. He did enjoy throwing it to Daddy. His favorite thing today was playing peekaboo with me. He’d make a big loop behind my back and I’d peek over my shoulder and say, “Where’s Erlan?” He’d just giggle.

While he was playing peekaboo, he tripped on the carpet. He looked startled but started laughing almost immediately.


I held him for the last 20 minutes of our visits. He would not let me put him down. He really enjoys looking out the window. I wonder if he’s ever been able to look out the window? Our driver, Ceric, saw us looking out the window and came over to wave to Erlan. Erlan waved to him, but cried when he thought Ceric got too close.

We went to Lancelot to celebrate with Kami & Eric and Gen & Joel. We had kebobs. The dinner was quite tasty. I finally tried some vodka. It was much too strong for me. I had a glass of Georgian (Republic, not US state) wine with my dinner. Ben has been enjoying the local beer.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's a shame he's so hesitant with men, hopefully he'll outgrow that quickly. I'm sure Ben really wants to hug him!

With the other couples, how long within that 5-20 day timeframe did they have to wait for their court appearances? Did it go quickly?

Graham Cracker said...

Hi: I've now checked to see if you'd blogged several times. I was so thrilled to see there were more pics and more info. What happens after court appearances? Are you free to bring Erlan and come home. I'm betting mommy is really encouraging him of how nice it is in daddy's arms because it looks like he loves being carried and he might soon get fairly heavy--love you

Amy said...

He is becoming quite a ham isn't he? I love his smile and I can't wait to hear his giggle and can't wait to make him giggle. Can't wait to pinch his cheeks, tickle his belly, and make funny faces for him. Can't wait to play ball with him, can't wait to try and get him to say my name. You all are going to make wonderful parents!! He doesn't realize how lucky he is. I know you know how lucky you are and how lucky we will be because he is going to be a part of our lives. I CAN'T WAIT!!

jan said...

i love the newest pictures. he seems to be more outgoing which comes from the individual attention. just wait till he gets home. we will wear him slick with attention and hugs. i am curious too about your court date. will you take him to your apt or can you home? really happy for the two couples . take care of each other. love you guys. mom

jan said...

i love the newest pictures. he seems to be more outgoing which comes from the individual attention. just wait till he gets home. we will wear him slick with attention and hugs. i am curious too about your court date. will you take him to your apt or can you come home? really happy for the two couples . take care of each other. love you guys. mom

Regina said...

Oh I love these pictures! Erlan sounds like a riot! What good personality. I'm sure he will warm up to men soon. :-) He really is a handsome chap!

Sounds like you had a fun dinner. I'm so glad court went well for the two other couples. It's always a relief to hear that since we will be in Aqtobe in just a couple of months!

Alysa said...

Erlan's personality just oozes off the page. What a little character he is and oh so cute! I love those overalls! So, you are supposed to bring clothes for the child while you are visiting? Guess I need to find more room in the suitcase. Acckk!

I'm glad to hear about the easy court appointments as well. As a single, that part worries me along with everything else! ;)

Matthew Ruley said...

What a cutie he is- I hadn't heard about the try foods 9 times before they will like it. I think I'll try to give my husband carrots tonight. Think maybe it will be his 9th time!

Chris & Christy said...

Ohhh I love hearing that you are hangin' with Joe / Gen and Kami / Eric! I can't wait to read their blogs too!

I must say that you are so smart eating in front of Erlan. I don't think that I would have ever thought of that and it makes so much sense. Kids always want what you have; why not bring in food to eat in front of him so he sees that it is yummy. :) Smarty pants!

Christy

Anonymous said...

I can feel how gentle and loving you both are with him. That's a big step that he is throwing the ball to daddy! He seems to really be getting attached to his mommy. He looks like he is so comfortable with you. Do you know yet what size he wears? Also curious how long the other couples had to wait for the court date? Congrats to them!!