Monday, March 24, 2008

Day 28

We wanted to share this video of Erlan greeting us. Ben always waits in the hallway for him. You'll see what happens. Remember that just a short time ago, Erlan would walk into the room, sit down and cry when he saw us. Now he tells the other kids that he has a mama and a papa.



What a difference this last month has made in his life. When we met him, the nannies told us that he was a serious little boy. He didn't smile. He didn't talk. He didn't interact with the other kids. Now, he is almost always smiling. We still see his serious side when he plays with Legos or if he is concentrating on something important (like taking a sticker off of his books). Mostly, though, we see the little goofball that resides inside Erlan. We see his goofy faces. We see him check himself out in the mirror. We hear his laughter and his singing. We see how's he has learned to work his mama by giving cute faces when he's being naughty. He's such a happy little boy.

Erlan hasn't babbled as much as he was in the past few days. I think he may be trying to figure out how to use English like Mama and Papa. Sometimes he just studies us as if he's trying to figure out what we are saying.

He is so ready to go outside. He is so easy distracted by what's going on outside. He would spend our entire visit just looking out the windows. I would love just to take him outside. Two more weeks and he'll be able to spend as much time outside as he wants. :-)

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

"Awwwww" being pretty much the only possible response :o) OF COURSE you've made a difference in his life, a wonderful one. You're going to be such good parents!!

Graham Cracker said...

MacKenzi, Gavin, Brian and I just finished watching Erlan's latest videos plus going back to watch each of their favorites which included all of them, but the final vote was the one where we hear him saying pa papa. He is such a cutie and seems sooo very happy. The kids are telling me to tell you that they miss you. Lance has a cavity so Kathi took him to Dr.Elias. Love you all

Alysa said...

This video says it all. Brings tears to my eyes. What an incredible difference you have made in his life!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! Yes, it brought tears to my eyes. Happy ones! Very happy!! I can feel the joy from each of you!!! We are so lucky to have the technology that allows us access to this incredible life(lives) altering experience you all are going through. Yes, I would love to be there with you all, but since I can't, I'm thankful for the blog and skype. Can't believe it's already been a month. It has gone by faster than I thought it would. Keep em coming!!!

Anonymous said...

I love being able to watch the video clips. How beautiful to watch him run into your arms!

Unknown said...

Awesome videos. I can't wait for you guys to come home. Ben give me a call when you get a chance..

Lisa K said...

I just don't know how to make it through these posts...I cry every time. What a difference you are already making to him. I can't even imagine how it must feel for him to finally have a mama and a papa. It just breaks my heart to think of children who don't have that. What a wonderful gift you are giving to each other. I can't wait to meet him.

Lisa

Heather said...

What a long way you've all come. He is so precious.

Regina said...

That video clip might only be a couple of seconds long, but knowing everything behind it makes it exquisitely beautiful and so moving!

Happy happy joy joy!

Wendy D said...

Keep those arms open wide always. How exciting for you all. Don't know how you leave him two times a day. Has Erlan ever been outside? We'd love for him to come and experience the Davis woods with us. We'd all much rather spend time outside than inside. We had your nephew Brian over Friday to play and Logan, Cooper and Brian spent almost 3 hours playing at the creek in the woods. Somehow... Cooper and Brian managed to get wet from the waist down.

jan said...

he is soo happy to see you! that is a real kodak moment! it is a shame you can't take him outside yet. he would have a ball. by the time you get home, hopefully the weather will be nice enough that he can play outside every day. take care, love mom

sjdking said...

Hey sorry i missed your call!!!! I do have some questions for you. I am getting ready to clean out closets and get ready for summer! YEAH!!!!! What size is Erlan? Do i need to save 2 and 3 summer or just 2? and 3 winter? What size shoe? Sorry for so many questions!

Love Ya
Stacey

EE said...

This video is absolutely darling!
I'm so glad that I didn't offend you guys with the Mary Janes comment...I was a little worried!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I have watched this about 5 times and I get a new tear every time. This is beautiful, moving, and proof positive of why you are there doing things exactly this way. I love it.

KEEP BELIEVING