Thursday, March 13, 2008

Day 17

We have not heard about our court date yet. I’m hoping that we hear tomorrow. My fingers and toes are crossed for a quick date.

Erlan was quite the ham during our two visits today. He loves to look at himself in the mirror. He practices making all kinds of silly faces, and he loves it when Mom and Dad get in on the game with him.

We had three successful uses of the potty today. He insists on having a book every time he sits on the pot (it is literally a pot)… hmmm, reminds me of his grandpa! Ben did a really good job today. He recognized the potty dance and put Erlan on the pot before he had an accident. :-D

Ben also taught Erlan a new trick: he showed him how to stuff his stacking cups into his pants. I’m really not sure when this trick will come in handy… perhaps if he takes up a career as a thief? If Erlan starts wearing baggy pants, I’ll be worried.

He now babbles almost continuously through our visits. He also likes to sing! I try to sing to him throughout our visits. Now he is singing too. One of his tunes sounded like “Head, shoulders, knees, and toes…”

I cannot believe how quickly this boy has stolen our hearts. I also cannot believe that we traveled to the other side of the earth to find a junior Ben. I told you about the continuous “Why?” Erlan also likes to build things and to take them apart. He wants to know how things work. He will try to figure it out. Ben is delighted at how much Erlan is like him. It’s like he found a partner in crime.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely amazing how much he is like Ben. You all look sooooo happy! Goodness, the anticipation of getting to meet him is killing me. I'm praying for a quick court date, too. Has been shown him tippy turtle yet? We are going to have get them matching outfits.

Deb said...

Erlan is adorable! I can't wait until you get to bring him home.
Karla, you will have your hands full with two Bens -- but I know you can handle it!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading all about Erlan and your relationship development with him. It is very fun to be "in on it." I hope to meet him and you, Karla, some day.

KEEP BELIEVING

Regina said...

What a little hoot he is! And that potty training is pretty impressive.

I think asking "why" is totally normal around this age. I remember my neices and nephews going through that. It's cracking me up though! I bet he really does want to know why much of the time, so keep explaining away! He is a little sponge and trying to make sense of the world and he is so fortunate you are there to help him do it.

Hope court day comes pronto!

jan said...

well, ben , it took you 37 years to find your identical twin. have you shown erlan how to pick his nose yet? have you taught him the itsy bitsy spider song? that is a good one. he is a crackup when he laughs. glad he has a good sense of humor. he is just like a little sponge right now, mimicing everything he sees. so ben be on your good behavior. lots of luck, karla. love mom

Graham Cracker said...

Wow! I'm so impressed with our little guy! Potty trained without my help--now, that's quite an accomplishment. I'm going to add Brian's poem here since you asked me to do it and I keep forgetting. St. Patrick's Day Poem
St. Patrick's Day is here
So let's all give a cheer
You better wear green
Or you'll get poked by the queen
If you don't get poked
They'll tell you a funny joke.
Give Erlan a big hug and kiss--can't wait to see him. love you all

Chris & Christy said...

Okay, the stacking cups in the pants is the funniest thing ever. This is definitely what daddys are for! :)

Christy

EE said...

That sweater is adorable. Have you taught him the universal symbol for the bird?????