Ok, I’ve been horribly remiss in not posting for a few days. I’m sure Erlan’s fans are wondering what is new with the most adorable Kazakh boy ever (this is a completely unbiased and neutral judgment).
We have taken many walks with Erlan over the past few days since it has warmed up. Yesterday we walked to a nearby mosque with our friend Agnes and her parents. On the way home, we decided to treat ourselves to an ice cream cone. Erlan LOVED the ice cream cone—both Mama’s chocolate ice cream and Papa’s strawberry ice cream. (I always wondered who ate the strawberry when Mom would get Neapolitan ice cream, now I know.)
Erlan also discovered that he can chase birds! He enjoys nothing more than chasing pigeons when we are walking. He also enjoys dancing to the drummers and peaking in the occasional trash can!
Yesterday, we took Erlan to the SOS medical clinic for his checkup for the US Embassy. The Embassy has stopped requiring the HIV test, so no blood work for Erlan! He did very well at his check up. He did less well when we went to get pictures taken for his visa. The photographer snapped one picture when I sat Erlan down and then Erlan screamed. Erlan looks dazed and confused in his visa picture.
This morning Ben discovered a coffee shop below us that is owned by an American and his Kazakh wife. He is from Boston! We went back this afternoon, where I had a mocha latte and a cinnamon roll!!!!! It tasted like home. I was also able to borrow a book... I have missed reading!
Today we went to Gorky Park, where Erlan tried out one of the amusement park rides. He had a great time. He didn’t want to get out. He wanted another turn. We wanted to take him on the merry-go-round (e-go-go here), but they had to sell four tickets in order to run it so he didn’t get to go. We also saw some people walking their dogs while we were in the park. When we tried to walk in the opposite direction of the dogs, Erlan absolutely refused. He wanted to meet the dogs. He managed to get within two feet of the Chow, but the Schnauzer took off.
Tonight we went to dinner with Agnes and her parents. Agnes and Sacha get to go back to Belgium tomorrow! We went to Mama Mia's for pizza. Erlan was excellent. He hammed it up for Agnes and her mother, Magda. He ate the pizza without a fuss. He sat in the high chair like he's been doing it for ages.
We ended our evening by going to Agnes' to say good bye. We will miss Agnes, Sacha, Emil and Magda very much. They have become very good friends to us. Erlan learned to say Agnes' name. Tonight he gave her a kiss good bye. He played with Emil and Magda. We didn't know how he would do with new people, and we saw him warm up to Agnes and her family over the past week. We were so happy to get a preview of what is to come when we finally get home.
The pictures will not upload. Since I've been fighting the internet all day to do what I want, I think I will give up for the night and try again tomorrow. I did manage to upload a video with scenes of the past few days.
In the meantime, sorry if I am slow to respond to email or if I am not posting on your blog. Amazingly the internet is slower here in Almaty than it was in Aqtobe. I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle with it every day. I can usually load the blog, but I lose the connection before commenting(same with email). I am very much looking forward to having my high-speed connection again.
If he were still alive
12 years ago


11 comments:
Hi So glad it warmed up and you're not freezing. Erlan looks like he could care less what the weather is as long as he has papa and mama!! He looks like such a sweetheart sitting in the high chair in a restaurant just like he'd been doing that his whole life. The video is adorable. For some reason it takes for ever for this one to come up. It works about two seconds then works for about 20 seconds to bring another little bit up. Yes, it is well worth the wait. I keep thinking it won't be long now. I can hardly wait. love you much p.s. dad's video came up faster than mine
I don't think Erlan will have any problems meeting all the family. He seems to adjust easily and enjoys everything. I can't wait to get the three of you home.
how cute in the restaurant!! ice cream and pizza are a great diet. can't beat it!! he seems so happy playing and exploring the great outdoors. he will love the backyard, chasing squirrels and birds and playing in the grass. he has really opened up and showed his personality. happy boy!!
love, mom
Erlan is so TWO!! He looks like he will give you a run for your money. The boys were delighted with the digging in the trash can and dancing around. He looks so happy!!!
I'm an Erlan fan and YES he is the most adorable Kazakh boy ever.
Ice Cream yum!
Hey Erlan you'd like it here. We've got 2 dogs and they really like kids!
Yep, Erlan is the cutest 2-year-old boy in Kaz! There's a younger little boy somewhere that is also pretty cute just waiting for me to come scoop him up like strawberry ice cream! ;)
Sounds like your time in Almaty is getting a little better with the warmer weather and finding the semi-American coffee shop. You'll have to let me know where that is.
The video is adorable. What a little ham -- so much fun!
Love Him!!! So darn cute! Glad to see he has some rhythm. :) Brother Dave and I went mushroom hunting last night out at granddads. We didn't find that many and the morels are very tiny this year. We had quite the rainstorm last night so hoping for sun and heat so we can find some more. Do you have flight times yet?
www.rakhat.kz/htm_eng/shok.htm
Here is the webpage for the chocolate factory, it has the address in almaty, but no clue how close it is to you guys. But I kinda figured the chocolate fiend in the family must at least try the local chocolate. Hope you find it Karla and enjoy!
Sounds like a great family adventure. How good that cinammon roll must have tasted.
OK, just read your comment over on Jen's blog. We've gotta talk about this princess bed...:)
Post a Comment