Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 53

Today we learned that we should be able to leave here on April 29. *IF* this date holds, then we will have been here for 66 days. This is about 4 days longer than our friends Joel & Gen, and Kami & Eric. From what we heard in Aqtobe and what we have heard here, the Kaz adoption process is changing and lengthening. I guess that I should be grateful that we were only impacted by the 3-day increase in TAT for Erlan’s passport. Instead, I’m feeling sorry for myself because I want to go home NOW. I don’t want to be here anymore (foot stomping). Kjjnjjjjjjgbfccsz (those are Erlan’s exact thoughts that he typed himself).

We also found out today that Marina's pug, Martin, died this morning at 6:00 am. Our most heartfelt condolences go out to Marina.

We went out for Chinese food tonight with our friend Agnes & her parents. This was Erlan’s first experience in a restaurant. He did so well! Yes he squealed a couple of times, but overall he was excellent. He ate some stir-fried rice. He would have gone to sleep, but he was too interested in all of the activity.

We’re off to bed. It’s been a long day. I guess whenever you hear that you’ll be another 10 days when you really want to be home, the day gets kinda long. I’ll try to post pix tomorrow. I just wanted everyone to know our projected date for coming home.

10 comments:

Amy said...

He can type, holy cow, Is he faster than Ben? :) Yes, 66 days better than 90. We are all ready for you to be home, too. Tell Marina sorry about Martin. It's really hard losing our furry friends even the ones people don't like. Maybe we should all bombard Gulnara with emails to hurry her up.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! I know 10 days sounds like a lot, but I am so glad to know a date so we can count down. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! Wow, I'm impressed he was so good at the restaurant. Maybe he can teach Brian and Lance a thing or two.

Gen said...

I hope you guys do get outta there soon!! Don't worry, it will happen before you know it!!

Joel

jan said...

sorry that your stay is extended for a few more days. this will be the longest week of your trip. glad to know a date . will the trip home take very long?. it is great that erlan does well in restaurants. will be so happy when you get home. love mom

Deb said...

Yeah! We have a date!! I know you are ready to come home and sure didn't need the news about it taking extra days--that's a bummer. Dad and I have been in Council Bluffs for the last couple days. Guess what the first thing we did when we got home. We came by Debs to read your blogs. Thanks. love you lots

Anonymous said...

Happy to see the pictures, Really enjoyed them. Know you're ready to head back and get settled, Good luck with everything . Thanks for the updates!!
Mike and Vidia

Chris & Christy said...

You are so right, 66 days isn't so bad all things considered. I was there for 63 days.

I am sad to hear about Marina's pug too; our pets become family, so I am sure that she is in little pieces. Makes me so sad for her, she is such an amazing person!

Enjoy Almaty!

Christy

Alysa said...

I know longer than expected, but at least you have tentative date! Never know, might happen faster. I'm not too happy to hear it is taking longer either, for my own sake. Just soak up the culture, eat more sam-whatevers, and play, play, play.

Very sad about little Martin. Our furry babies are just that, our babies and family. Poor Marina.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

I'm all caught up again. Hadn't read in a couple weeks. I don't know why I keep doing that.

Okay a 42 hour train ride in a 7 foot compartment with a 2 year old. I think you may be smoking something over there or maybe they are putting some opiates in the water?

The baths - once again, I am blaming some opiates in the water. Just kidding. strange how some cultures just have different practices and the whoe naked thing isn't as much of a deal as it is for us.

About your lengthening stay. On a much smaller scale I can relate. When we were at Stanford last year for Brian's surgery. we thought it would be about 7-10 days. 21 days later, we were leaving. 21 days without our kids. 21 days of our kids in a different country with their grandma. 21 days of finding out Brian was way sicker than we had imagined. 21 days of anguish. The last 4 days, I thought I would lose it. I just wanted to be HOME!!! so bad. So, I understand. I will pray for some comfort for you. I will pray for an easy process for you. I will also tell you, that believe it or not, when you are back home, you will think - that wasn't so bad after all.

KEEP BELIEVING

EE said...

Hey! You're coming home the day after my birthday!
I can't wait to hear all the details about the plane ride home...should be interesting;)

Oh, you'll be happy to know that our little guy was finally adopted (officially after 6 months). You can read about it over at my blog.