Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Day 37


Erlan said another word today! He said, "Dog." He loves watching the stray puppies and their mom that live in the orphanage yard. We discovered that we can distract him from a tantrum if we start talking about the dogs. He's always willing to go look at them.


Erlan also got a new toy today. Nadia's mom, Rosa, gave him a little bunny with a pull string. Erlan loved it. Nadia gave it to him as soon as he came into the room. Erlan played with it for 15 minutes, at least. It even distracted him from his usual goal of going outside. He's playing with the toy in the picture. This picture was snapped right before Erlan sent the bunny into the two large stuffed animals that you can see in the background. Fortunately for Erlan, Nadia rescued the bunny from the stuffed animals... maybe I should have said fortunately for the stuffed animals...

The nannies are really worried about chicken pox. They told us again today that Erlan doesn't have it. The doctors are checking him every day. Bayana, our translator, told us that the doctors check him first. Everyone wants him healthy so he can go home with us!

In other good news, our friend Agnes brought her little boy Sacha home. We visited the two of them today. He's adorable. He's such a big boy. He's in an 18-month top and he'll turn 1 tomorrow! He really liked Ben.

And in more good news, our friends Gen, Joel, Gabriel, Kami, Eric, and Lincoln get to go home tomorrow!!! We're very happy for them. We miss hanging out with them in Aktobe.

In today's video, Erlan is dancing with Bayana. Erlan had a great time. Bayana played American music, but I didn't know any of it. I guess I'll have to turn on some top-40 stations instead of my beloved NPR so Erlan can listen to the tunes he seems to like. Fortunately for me, he also seems to like the Hank Williams Sr songs that I sing to him. :-)

6 comments:

Regina said...

So cute! That song is called "My Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira, the Latin sensation. (I'm not a fan, but it's one of those songs you can't avoid.)

I love hearing Erlan talk in that other video. I think he is saying, "Ok people, when we get home I want a dog and a boat and a swimming pool and no less than 600 balls." :-)

Deb said...

A dog is a must. Jackson really won't mind a puppy. Should I start looking?

Amy said...

hello! 1st of all, I think those stuffed animals are scary looking and if they were in my room I would be beating them up too. What was he doing in just a tank top? Were the nannies off today? I took my computer over to Granddads and showed him all of the videos of Erlan. Got quite a few chuckles from him. Granddad said "Well, he doesn't look foreign at all, looks pretty normal" That cracked me up. He liked Erlan's overalls and he said he is going to keep you all busy. Granddad also said he wouldn't share a cookie with you either Ben. I'm going to have to call Debbie b/c I think Erlan would love a basset hound. :) Can you believe that in less than a week Erlan will be home with you all. Anyway, gotta go search for a gooooood basset for my nephew!!

jan said...

i guess we should have let dixie have puppies, then erlan could have the pick of the litter. i hope he doesn't get chicken pox before you leave. i see the bassett lady is on a mission. look out!!! he really likes music. that's great. grandma can teach him to hum. ha! love mom

EE said...

Gettin' him started early on the country songs...I like that!!!!

Anonymous said...

Brian will have Erlan's musical tastes covered.. that song is on my ipod.