Sunday, April 20, 2008

Days 54 & 55

We have spent most of the weekend huddled in our apartment. It was downright cold yesterday--cold enough that we dug out our down coats before walking around town. Erlan was dressed in so many layers that his arms stuck out on either side of him. Today it warmed up outside, but our apartment never made it above 61 degrees. Even Ben agreed that the apartment was cold.

To improve matters, we haven’t had hot water for the past 36 hours. Erlan and I took baths before the water was turned off. If the hot water isn’t back on tomorrow, I may head back to the bath house (and I’ll take my soap with me this time!)

Erlan is such a happy little boy. It’s astounding how much he has changed even since coming out of the orphanage. His little mind is absorbing so much right now. He can identify his head, eyes, ears, nose, belly, and toes. Before he goes to sleep, he will lie in bed and touch various body parts, babble something, and then clap for himself. Erlan has quite a repertoire of tricks to stay awake. These include:

1. Singing
2. Raising arm above head so that its fall will wakes him
3. Practicing body parts
4. Clapping
5. Banging foot on bed
6. Banging foot on wall
7. Kissing mama/papa (this is usually more of a head butt than a kiss, but his lips are puckered)

If Erlan thinks that Ben or I are asleep, he will try to sneak off of the bed. He is actually quite stealthy. If we really were asleep, he would be able to successfully wiggle his way off the bed. Today, he tried to flatten himself against the wall and sneak off above my head. I have a hard time not laughing so that I can sternly tell him to “Lay down!”

Erlan is also a very good eater so long as he sees rice, potatoes, soup, or oatmeal as the main dish. We can mix darn near anything into the main dish and he will eat it up. He’ll eat prunes in his oatmeal, carrots and corn in his potatoes. We were going to give him cauliflower, but a head cost $11 and it didn’t look that good. The only thing that I have seen him try without any reservations is potato chips. As we’ve mentioned, he’s a fan (even of the horrible pork-rind type chips that Ben enjoys).

Today's video provides further evidence that children don't really need toys!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Can't wait to teach him to slide down the steps in a sleeping bag. He is going to love that! It's just wild about the heat, water and electricity over there. We take a lot of things for granted. Do they have an age requirement at the bath house? I love Erlan's little antics, of course he will be guaranteed lots of laughs from aunt Amy. Counting down! :)

Graham Cracker said...

What a cute video and so creative. He will definitely love the big hill at school for sledding! I had checked this morn to see if there was a blog and no blog so I was extremely happy when I checked again and you had!! If you guys are cold it must be freezing. We've got a count down for when you get to leave there. love you much

Regina said...

I think you helped me make up my mind in deciding on whether to bring my coat or just a jacket/sweater to Kaz. I looked at the 2007 history of May temps in Aqtobe and they are all over the place. Looks like we will have to be prepared for temps ranging from the 40's to the 90's.

Love the plastic bag ride video. He is pure sweetness!

Julie said...

How was the train ride? Does Erlan still have Chicken Pox? Cant wait to see you guys! Weather is starting to get nice here.SEE YOU SOON! Julie

EE said...

Prunes???? You guys eat prunes????
I don't think I can be friends with you...yuck;)
He is the cutest, happiest little boy! I love the video!!!

Heather said...

I understand about chips - they are my weakness. I could eat a whole bag and then ask for more. That bag game looks really fun. Hope Ben's back holds out.

Matt said...

I couldn't stop laughing watching Ben pull Erlan around on that plastic bag - too funny! I'm really happy for you guys that you'll be able to come home soon. 2 months in another country is a really long time but Erlan is definitely worth it! :-)

jan said...

the antics to keep from going to sleep are infinite. they can get quite creative and i know it is hard not to laugh. as you are findng out, it doesn't take much to make them happy. a plastic bag or box are great play toys. i'm really anxious for you three to get home. hope you don't hit any more snags. love mom