Monday, April 14, 2008

Days 48 & 49



Day 48

Our first Sunday in Almaty. We strolled down the pedestrian avenue that our apartment overlooks. Erlan was fascinated by the concrete. He would stoop to feel the sidewalk every few steps. We also saw a pug as we were walking…he was about 2 years old from the looks of him. He was a very handsome pug. I stopped (of course) to pet him. We tried to get Erlan close to him, but Erlan would rather admire dogs (even pugs!) from a distance at this point.

We just walked around a bit to get some fresh air and stretch our legs. We also needed to pick up a warm sleeper for Erlan since he refuses to sleep with a blanket. We found a fleece sleeper for $12 and some tights for him.

Ben, of course, discovered the local samsa place. The meat is better here, but the crust is so much better in Aqtobe. Erlan actually tried the samsa and enjoyed it. He’s like every other 2 y.o. that I know… he will not look at the food that you want him to like (e.g. veggies), but he’s more than happy to try the Pringles that Mama was trying to sneak into her mouth. Two things were learned from this: (1) Mama is not very sneaky, and (2) Erlan likes Pringles.

We’ve also discovered that Erlan covers his eyes with his arm when he doesn’t want another bite of his meal. I guess he thinks that if he can’t see the food, then the food will disappear. He also tries this trick when he sees me coming with his medicine. It doesn’t work then either.

He has finally started giving kisses on a more regular basis. It started as I was trying to post to the blog yesterday. I had the computer on my lap. He climbed onto the couch (ok, this is a bit of an exaggeration b/c he said “Up!” to me and I obliged him), he sidled up to me, and gave me a big hug. Naturally I ate this up. Then he does a repeat performance, but this time he leans in and gave me a kiss. I was delighted. He was delighted with himself and with my delight. I quickly received 5 or 6 more kisses—all smack on the lips.

We’re working on his vocabulary. So far, he has 3 words that he uses on a regular basis: Mama, Papa, and up! When he sees the sheep in his book, he will say “baaa.” He will try to repeat the animal names as we look at the book. He has 6 other words that he can repeat: hi, dog, door, bubble, Amy, and Mike. (For those of you who have names that he isn’t saying yet, we are working on them. For example, when I say “Debbie”, Erlan says “Mama.” When I say “Kathi”, Erlan babbles. Grandma also elicits a “Mama.” Aly’s name did get a short “a” sound.)

Last night we were all in bed early since we managed to blow the fuse for the apartment. We tried to run the washer while we had the living room and kitchen lights on. I guess it was too much for the electrical system.

Day 49

Today was a lazy day. Our landlord came right away this morning to fix our electrical problem. For the electricians in the crowd, they make their own fuses. It’s 240 volt, and they used a size 18 wire for a fuse. Ben tried to finagle some wire from our landlord so he could make his own repairs next time this happen. No dice.

Ben also showed our landlord that the toilet runs continuously. The man showed Ben how to shut the bathroom door so that we wouldn't hear it run. (For those of you who are wondering, we cannot shut the water off.) :-)

As soon as we walked out of our apartment, Ben spotted the SmartCar. He was elated to see one up close and personal. Erlan and I got to be in the picture with the car... there were a few taken without us too.

We walked to the Arasan spa to try to schedule a massage, but it was closed. It started sprinkling on the walk home and rained fairly hard most of the day. Erlan no longer had a fever today, so he had all of the energy of a 2 year old boy. He chased Ben around the apartment while they played hide-and-go seek. Erlan’s cousins will be happy to know that he is as good at hide-and-go seek as they are.

In spite of the rain, Ben walked to a nearby Chinese restaurant so we were able to enjoy Chinese food for dinner! What a wonderful treat! Shortly after Ben left, Erlan grabbed his hat so he could follow Daddy.

Today's video consists of a few scenes from our day. It would be longer, but I'm tired and we only have dial-up which severely limits the size of the video.


10 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like you guys are getting along great. And Ben is a natural with the back pack.

Deb said...

I see Erlan also understands NO just like his cousins! He looks like he is enjoying his new life and so are Mama and Papa.

Graham Cracker said...

Looks like his pox are clearing up nicely and aren't slowing him down!! I loved seeing him give his kiss to mama. Dad and I are resting from our helping Kathi move day yesterday and our trip back from Weslaco. We're getting ready to go out an eat with Bob and Sarah and then go to play bridge at Aunt Anns. Love you much mom and dad

Anonymous said...

Well I can foresee that Erlan and grandma are going to be close pals (given the shared pringle addiction). The boys were delighted to see Erlan's energy in the video - finding things he wasn't supposed to be doing. They thought that was so clever. :) Save some kisses for us, Erlan.
Love,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

I love to see that the trees are turning green over there, too and that you can enjoy the outdoors. I also love that building in the background. Cool architecture. Did you make it to the gondola? Almaty seems like a really cool place and lots of cool things around there to do. Turgen Gorge, Tamgaly petroglyphs, Charyn Canyon, Medeu(you have to take Erlan ice skating there). Karla did you know they have a chocolate factory there? :) See I could have come there and hung out with you all while waiting for Erlan's papers. Ben can you rent a smart car? So how bad is Erlan itching? Yeah for the kisses Karla. We worked in the yard all day today and burned leaves. You know how I love fires. Just to let you know Ben that next week the tree in the front yard is getting trimmed, so we should have plenty of chiminea wood. I don't think the tree guys know my plan yet. heehhehe Anyhow, get out there and enjoy Altmaty, you don't have much time left there. :)

Alysa said...

That was the sweetest kiss! Sounds like you guys are having a nice time in Almaty.

Kami said...

I haven't been online in awhile, I am so HAPPY to read Erlan is now with you and you all are in Almaty finishing up. How exciting you took the train, very adventurous threesome you are. Enjoy the rest of your trip. I look forward to reading more and watching Erlan grow with his new family.

Diana said...

Erlan so full of life and energy. I have noticed how much he has changed in the pictures and videos. Also how much he is learning.

Hope he's feeling better from the chicken pox.

Regina said...

Sweet kisses from a sweet boy! That's awesome that he's growing more affectionate.

How does he like being in the carrier? What kind do you guys have?

Mom, if you can't be sneaky with Pringles, how are you going to be sneaky with candy??? :-)

Anonymous said...

Hello, just wanted to say HI. Karla, your tulips are coming up in the front yard. I don't know how long this will last once you get home, but right now you could eat off your floors your house is so clean. Hope you have a good day and Karla I hope you enjoyed your massage. Love ya!