
Despite the fact that it is April 17 and despite the fact that we have packed away all of our winter accoutrements, we woke up to snow this morning. It snowed almost all day! This meant that Erlan and Mama were trapped in the apartment all day. Ben led our friend Agnes and her father on a brief walking tour to Panfilov Park.
That’s right, our friend Agnes lives about 1 minute away from us now! We were excited that she, Sacha, and her parents were coming to Almaty, so imagine how delighted we were when she moved into an apartment so close to us! Her parents are staying at a hotel, which for a mere 30000 tenge/night gets you a room without hot water or toilet paper. Ben, ever the efficient tour guide, took Agnes’ folks our map which has a list of hotels on it. Hopefully, they can get a new room tomorrow.
While Ben was leading his expedition around Almaty, I was left to my own devices with Erlan. We worked on words and body parts. We played ring-around-the-rosy, which he loves. He has finally figured out how to fall down on is own. When we played this at the orphanage, Ben or I always dragged him down on top of us. When I started chanting it at our apartment, Erlan immediately grabbed my hand and fell down as soon as I said, “Ashes, ashes…” We then played 10 or 15 more times.
When left to my own devices, I forget to take pictures or video. I did manage to snap a picture of his “I-did-something-naughty-but-you-won’t-notice-because-I’m-cute-smile.”
And, here's a picture of Erlan throwing a fit. I wouldn't lift him onto the couch, and he was not too happy about it.We are deviating from the orphanage schedule. At the orphanage, Erlan got one nap in the afternoon. He really needed a morning nap. Today, he got one. We were afraid that he wouldn’t take an afternoon nap. He did. We were also somewhat fearful that he wouldn’t sleep tonight. Ben just laid down with him, and, from the sounds of it, he must be going to sleep.
Our coordinator, Marina, came by today so that we could fill out some Embassy paperwork. No news yet on Erlan’s passport. Marina did have some sad news about her pug, Martin. Martin was bitten by a tic and now has some sort of disease that is affecting his central nervous system. He probably won’t make it. I feel so horrible for her. Martin is only 2, and I know that it is just devastating to watch a pet struggle with illness and not be able to do anything about it. I am hoping that a miracle happens and Martin makes it. For those of you who don’t know me very well and couldn’t guess from the mention of pugs in different posts, I have a special affinity for pug dogs. My pug, Buster, was my first baby and passed away last May from cancer. He was 14, and it broke my heart.
No video today kids. I suppose that I could video myself now, but I don’t think that I’m the person people really want to see. Also, I’d look pretty silly playing ring-around-the-rosy by myself. :-)


11 comments:
That is so sad about the Pug. I'm such a dog lover. Our male Boxer, Baxter contracted Lyme disease from a tick bite. We were able to work him through it but he still has a lot of issues. It's hard to watch him, the way he struggles when he's having a bad day.
The changes in Erlan that can be seen in the pictures are amazing.
Have you taught him the Mr. Froggy song? Have you played Trot Trot Horsey with him? If you're happy and you know it? Hokey-pokey? Obviously he is loving his games with mommy and daddy. :) Brian and Lance have a few games in mind for him when he gets home (like the mooning game..). He is such an adorable, happy child. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO GET HOME!!
Greetings from NJ!
It's been too long but rest assured Joel's been keeping me updated with your journey. Looks like you're enjoying the sites in Almaty. We miss you guys so much and can't rave enough about you to our families. Erlan is just so adorable. We home that we meet him someday!! Hugs and kisses from Gabriel!
P.S. Don't forget to visit Koktobe cable car. Definitely worth it!
So sorry to hear about the Marina's pug. Dogs are such special and loving creatures -- it's hard to watch them suffer.
Glad the double nap thing seems to be working. Erlan has such a cute "cry face" too!
Hi guys, I gave Barnet the website so check your email and invite him. He called tonight and said someone was on your dock, he didn't know if someone was supposed to be down there or not. I said no, so he was going to do some target practice. If he hits them I owe him a bottle of jack. :) No he was going over to check and will call if any probs. Hopefully will talk to you when you wake up! Call my cell.
Cousin Erlan,
I can't wait to meet you. Even though you are a few months older than me I can still teach you lots of new tricks. After all, I have two older brothers to keep up with. I have recently found that when you are bored in a playpen you can produce your own toy. Mine provided me with lots of entertainment and it is a natural body function so you will always have it with you. My brother hung his poop over a clothes hanger. I haven't mastered that one yet but Mama and Papa would be so proud if we learned how. I can't wait to visit you so hurry home.
Love,
Baby Cole
Just incase you didn't pick up on it in Cole's letter. Daddy walked in to get him out of his bed and he had plastered poop in his hair. I have some wonderful pictures I will post on our blog soon. Our kids also LOVE Mr. Froggy! Hopefully I will talk to you soon. I don't remember if I told you but I got 7 points higher on my retake of the HOAE. Love you, Ang
Two naps are good for everyone! Wish I had that option. ;)
Weather is amazing. It was 72 here (Denver) earlier this week, then we had 4 inches of snow by the next morning.
I too am very sorry to hear about Marina's pug. It is heartbreaking to lose a pet.
And hopefully Baby Cole's new game won't become a popular one in your household! Ewwww!
Ben is quite the tour guide! He seems right at home. Kids love repetition. It always amazes (and tires!) me how many times they can do something and not grow weary of it. I just felt what must have been the aftershock from the earlier earthquake near St. Louis. A weird feeling when the whole house shakes.
Are you sure Ben was not over there
A couple of years ago Erlan looks a lot like Ben. Guy on dock was getting his lure untangled from Ben stuff on dock shucks no practice and no JD from Amy Hurry home Jim
If they get desperate, they can use the map as TP.
Please Please Please invite me to a toddler shower once you get back...I'm dying to meet this little guy!!!
Post a Comment