Thursday, February 28, 2008

so happy (Day 2)



Well we got to see Erlan this afternoon, I dont think he had fun at his medical checkup. He was very clingy and didnt really want to play that much at first. He just wanted Karla to hold him.
It was like an hour before he finally smiled.


We get to visit twice a day (10-12 and 4-6). It doesnt seem like much, until you think about it. No t.v., no phones, and no distractions, just Karla and I and our new little guy rolling around on the carpet. I try not to set up or stand up so Erlan can feel more comfortable. The picture of Erlan and me is the only time I have been able to touch him without him being on Karla's lap. By the end of the two hours, we are all ready for a nap.


Today, he finally babbled!!! This,so far , is his biggest delay. It has nothing to do with intelligence, just lack of individual stimulus. The caregivers are overworked, yet the care we have observed is incredible. I dont know how they do it. It breaks my heart knowing that some of these children will never be adopted. The caregivers say Erlan is very serious and doesnt talk, but will jabber with the others. Well today , I was being goofy and he started mimicking me. He was vibrating his lips and cracking himself and me up. He then started parroting me with 'pa pa'. His sound came out has 'pop', so thats what we went with. This was very exciting for us. Erlan is like a little seed that has just been waiting for enough water and sunlight to grow. So far, he has surprised us every day.


If you haven't noticed; I like him alot!!!! I am overwhelmed with happiness knowing I get to be a part of this guy's life.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erlan is so lucky!! He is truly adorable and I know he will grow to love you both just as you love him.

Heather said...

That is wonderful! We are so very happy for you. It sounds like you are very in tune with Erlan moving at the right pace for him.

Wendy D said...

Wow! How exciting! He is so cute and cuddly. Great family picture. He will open up more and more with you. Just will need time. You will be amazed at how quickly he will pick up everything - just like a little sponge. Congratulations again!

Deb said...

You are so lucky! What a cutie!! He will fit right in the family.
I am already anxious for all three of you to get home.

Graham Cracker said...

~Messages from Brian and Lance~

Lance says, "I love Karla's baby because he's cute."

Brian says, "He looks just like I thought he would.. except for the face."

Lance says, "I love those baby toys. I love the baby."

sjdking said...

Kolton saw the pics at moms and when i got there he said "mom Karlas baby came out and he is so cute"

Regina said...

Oh my gosh, he is so beautiful! Congratulations on finding your son! Looks like that little sprout is going to blossom under your loving care.

Lisa K said...

Erlan is adorable and clearly a great match! I am so thrilled for all of you. i think you will all really blossom as a family!! Can't wait to meet him!

Lisa

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

OK. All caught up. And here I thought you were still in MO waiting for the LOI. I am way behind, but MY how fast things move when they start. How long will you be there? 4 hours of undivided attention play time actually seem like a lot to me. I don't play with my kids in 2 hours with no distractions increments now. They don't want me to. My crabby mommy powers would surface and that is bad for EVERYONE!
This is all so exciting. Meeting your little Erlan. Bonding with him. Falling in love with him. Getting him to fall in love with you. WoW! Crazy times!
KEEP BELIEVING

Mel and David said...

What a gorgeous little boy! He has the sweetest face and most beautiful smile. David and I are thrilled for you. From the looks of the photos and your endearing comments, you and your little man are having the time of your lives. Don't worry Ben, he'll warm up to you in the next couple of days if not sooner. It took Madeleine a little longer with David as well. All in good time. Just enjoy his sweet smile. Maddie's about your guy's age and she loves the songs (with hand motions) - Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Itsy Bitsy Spider. Try these and I bet you'll get a giggle or two out of him. Enjoy your time together in Aktobe. It goes by so fast.

P.S. Please tell Gulnara, Aina, Bayana and Ceric that Madeleine's doing well. She's running, talking and loving - everything she should be and more at this age. We feel very blessed as I know you do.

Take Care! (and stay away from the mystery meat . . . trust me)

Melanie Hill

jan said...

these new pics are so cute. he is a big boy! sounds like he has a mind of his own. that is good. the pic of him sucking his thumb is so angelic. i have him on my screen saver so i can look at him often. love you guys, mom

Chris & Christy said...

You just wait, the longer you know him and the more you interact and nurture him the more he will grow; it is amazing to me just how much these little guys change in just the 2 months of bonding.

It is so wonderful to hear that you are so in love with this little guy; isn't it strange how God just puts the exactly right child in your life! Erlan has been waiting for you, this was all part of the PLAN. :)

Christy