Friday, February 29, 2008

Day 3, Visit 1

We have just returned from our first visit of the day. The caretaker brought Erlan to the room in a bright pink coat. (I know that my nephews would be completely jealous of the coat.) He did not want to take the coat off. He was sweating, but he was very resistant to taking the coat off. I finally got the coat off, but a small fit was thrown.

Erlan was all about Mommy for most of the visit. He clung to me for most of the visit. It took him an hour just to eat his cookie. He did gobble down the roll that we bought for him. We tried to give him apple juice today. He didn’t want any of it even after he ate his very, very dry cookie. He reached for the cup but then saw the juice and refused it. His caretaker tried to give him the juice at the end of the visit, but he still wasn’t having it.

Once he let go of me, he played with his stacking rings. He colored in his book. He tried to hold all of the crayons at once, so it was kind of hard to color. He did not want to share the crayons with Momma or Daddy. He gave us a few smiles, but we really had to work for them. Hopefully he’ll be happier to see us in the afternoon.

He was happy to see his caregiver. He smiled when he saw her, and he looked more relaxed around her than around us. She tried to get him to wave bye to us, but he wouldn’t do it (I’m not sure if he knows how to do it).

Yes, this is my sweet child sucking his thumb. I'm fighting my instinct to pull it out of his mouth since this is one of his ways to self-soothe. He does look pretty angelic in this picture.

We're off to walk around between visits! More later.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Carla and Ben, I'm so happy for you. Erlan looks like a wonderful kid (yes, a little like Ben - or David). I believe you already have a children's play group waiting for him here. Seth will show him the ropes, and Jen will have another little boy to flirt with. He is a cutie. Stay safe, and we'll all be waiting to meet him.
Jen gave me her ID to look at the blog. Margaret Cott

Amy said...

He is soooo darn cute. I can't wait to meet him. I love his name. Does he have a middle name and last name, too? Does he like to be tickled? Have you tried your goofy faces on him Ben? Surely those would get a giggle. But if he doesn't then that's even funnier that he is stubborn and won't give in to you. I can't tell you how happy I am for you all. Sorry have'n't written, still not feeling great. Love you guys!

kara said...

He is absolutely beautiful! I know that people always say that about children, but truly --he really is beautiful! Congratulations on finding your son. It seems like he was really meant for you and you for him. I can't wait to read more!
-Kara

Anonymous said...

I love it that he seems to be warming up to you so quickly.. at least Karla.. and I'm sure it won't take long for him to warm up to irresistable Ben. :) I can't imagine anyone who would be a better dad to a little boy. He is a lucky, lucky, little guy. And I agree, let him suck his thumb for awhile!!

sjdking said...

I love the pics especially the one with the thumb sucking. LOVE IT!!!!

EE said...

You'd better start saving for braces!!
I check your blog several times a day to see if you've updated...love reading about your journey!
Erlan is absolutely adorable!!!

Tammy said...

Wow! He is just a little cutie! We are so happy for you! Benjamin is excited for him to come home so he will have a playmate! It sounds like you are having a wonderful experience getting to know your little guy. Be safe and we'll be waiting to see ya when you get back!