Thursday, April 30, 2009

Brussels

We started our day with a quick trip to the Horta Museum with our friend Agnes.  In case you don't know (and who doesn't know this???), Horta created Art Nouveau.  This is one of the places that I really wanted to see while I was here.  To make a long story short, the museum is only open in the afternoon and we were there in the morning.  A friendly high school student took our picture in front of Horta's mansion (now the museum).   Erlan was none too happy when Ben put Sacha on his shoulders.  He kept saying, "My daddy shoulders!  My shoulders!" He also suggested  that Sacha ride on Agnes' shoulders.  He even told Sacha in the car, "My daddy shoulders!"  I guess that Mommy's shoulders were a poor substitute for Daddy's shoulders.  
We then journeyed on our own around the Grand Place in Brussels.  With the help of locals who 
took pity on the hapless Americans, we made it from Agnes' house to the Grand Place via the local bus system.  I was so happy to have the help b/c we had to transfer busses on the same line.  I don't think we would have figured that out.  Riding on the bus, by the way, was the highlight of Erlan's day.

We made it to two chocolate shops, one restaraunt, and one waffle place.  Ben was the official photographer for the restarant, so a friendly Spanish tourist took our picture.  Erlan took the picture of Ben alone. The chocolates are melt in your mouth good.  If you love dark chocolate, then you will be in heaven in Belgium... at least I am.  Erlan was in overload in the candy shop.  He could not believe that all of the chocolate was  within his reach... He almost pulled over a display.








When we came back, the boys played together and were in bed by 8:30.  We then had tonight with Agnes' boyfriend, Jean Pierre (yes, he's French).  I thought our fellow Aktobe adopters would be interested to see his picture.  The big boys made dinner. 


Tomorrow we are off to Liere and Michelen (sorry if I misspelled) with our favorite tour guide Emil.  We are so lucky to have such wonderful friends.




1 comment:

EE said...

In case you were wondering what to bring me back from Belgium... I LOVE chocolate-covered pretzels!!:)

"Thumbs up' to the guy who snuck into your first photo!

Tomorrow, I expect to see photos of Erlan on Daddy's shoulders. Come on, Ben, give the kid a break:)