Saturday, May 2, 2009

Mechelen, Leuven, and Bruges

We have had two marvelous days in Belgium, where we have been to Mechelen, Leuven, &  Bruges. We spent yesterday with our world-famous tour guide, Emil.  We spent much of our time in Mechelen (pronounced Mickalyn).  It is barely mentioned in our guide book, and it is an absolute gem.  There were three churches.  We saw inside two, and they were magnificent.  Ok, magnificent doesn't begin to describe these churches...  We took pictures, but they will not capture the beauty that we saw.  

 

It was a national holiday yesterday in Belgium--May Day. 
 Mechelen had its town fair, oomplete with a band.  Mechelen 
also has many squares.  We also saw 
women making lace.  It looked so complicated, 
but I was assured that if I could knit (which I can), then I 
can make lace.  It was really so pretty.








We then went to Leuven (looven), which is a university town in Belgium.  It also has many wonderful churches and buildings; however, my top three favorite parts of Leuven: (1) 
the old markt, which had more bars in one single place than I have ever seen--it must be fun to go to college in Leuven; (2) the beguine (sp?), which was a place where only women lived.  It was not a convent, but it was like a sanctuary for women.  It was so peaceful.  I really liked it. (3) the company at dinner.  We had dinner with Agnes family!  We met her sister Ann, and Ann's daughter Ramila.  Agnes' parents, Emil and Magda, were there as was Jean Pierre and Sacha.  Erlan and Sacha were awesome at dinner.







I learned as we were looking at all of the Catholic churches that Belgian Catholics no longer kneel.  Did American Catholics stop kneeling too?  Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't been to mass in 20 years.

We spent today in Bruges with Agnes, Jean Pierre, and Sacha.  Jean Pierre remarked that Bruges was a bit like European Disney World.  I didn't understand what he meant until we hit the traffic going into Bruges.  There were so many tourists.  Once we got away from the high tourist areas, the city was wonderful.  The canals give it a distinct charm.  Erlan's 3 favorite things in Bruges: (1) the horses, (2) the boats, and (3) the fair!  Bruges was also having a fair for the holiday weekend, and Erlan took a ride on the "Grand Canyon"... his smile said it all.  We had dinner at a local restaurant and had a fantastic time.

We ended the night with a tour of the red light district, complete with scantily clad young women in the windows.  Sorry guys no pictures.  













1 comment:

Amy said...

I didn't realize u would be posting on the blog! I love the pics! What a beautiful place!!! I really wish i could be there to share this experience. I can't tell u how happy it makes me that u all have reconnected, especially the boys( they have no clue :) enjoy yourselves!!!!! Miss u guys!