I figure it's time that both Ben and I cop to the three things that we swore we'd never do when we became parents.
Oath 1: No child will sleep in our bed.
Oath 2: Our child will not suck his thumb--ok, this was my thing (not Ben's)
Oath 3: Our child will have a normal name with a proper phonetic spelling--again just me.
Reality 1: Erlan loves to sleep in our bed! He will not go to sleep unless we lay down with him and pretend we are going to sleep too. If I try to read as he goes to sleep, he calmly stays up with me until I turn out the light. We generally transfer him to his baby bed after he goes to sleep. This means that he wakes up at least once in the night and screams to get back in our bed. Generally this doesn't work; although, I have slept walked, gotten him out of his bed, and transferred him to our bed. Occassionally we fall asleep while putting him to sleep. He is in heaven when this happens. He sprawls out like a starfish in order to cover as much of the bed as possible for a two-year old boy. His second favorite position is in-between my legs. He then tries to roll over my outside leg so that he would fall out of the bed. The consequence is that I raise that leg throughout the night. His third favorite position is to lay between us like we're a hammock, head on Daddy's tummy and feet on Mommy's stomach. I know you're wondering--yes, he kicks. By the way, he does not like it if I try to snuggle with Ben.
Reality 2: Thumbsucking was one of the few things that I really felt compelled to comment upon when my friends' kids sucked their thumbs. I did not want my children sucking their thumb. I watched my nephew struggle to break the habit when he was young, and I didn't want my children to go through that. My beautiful boy is an ambidextrous thumb sucker. He uses both thumbs interchangably. Now strangers comment about Erlan's thumb sucking. I agree. I don't want him to suck his thumb, but it is the way he learned to self sooth and I won't take it away from him now. I read that children tend to outgrow thumbsucking by age 5. This hasn't been my experience, but maybe I never met an average kid. :-)
Reality 3: I like phonetically spelled names. I wanted people to know how to pronounce my child's name when they looked at it. Erlan's name is about as far away as you can get from this. Erlan, pronounced Yair-lawn, starts with a Russian "E" not an English "E". The Russian "E" has a "yeh" sound. This spelling will confuse Erlan's teachers for years to come. :-) So, why not just change the spelling? The Russian "E" is part of Erlan's heritage, and I want him to be proud of where he came from. Also, I just like the E.
By the by, Erlan UPDATE:
1.) He grew 3/4 of an inch within two months
2.) We saw him jump by himself for the first time yesterday.
3.) He can put his sandals on by himself. He can put his shoes on, but cannot tie them yet.
4.) He's potty trained!!! WOOHOO!!!
5.) He wakes up with a smile on his face, says "Mommy! Daddy! Eat!"
If he were still alive
12 years ago


6 comments:
Can't tie them yet? Please DON'T TELL ME YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT THIS??? My 5 and 6 year old are still perfecting this.
And speaking as the mother of a 5-1/2 year old thumb-sucker, "gross' just took on new meaning for you. Sucking their thumbs in public bathrooms. Sucking their thumbs after touching animals, etc. And? No where near outgrown it!
By the way, those "personal parenting rules" were made to be broken as a way for your friends with kids to laugh their asses off at you now!
KEEP BELIEVING
I had two things I was strongly against too. One being thumb sucking and luckily none of mine do this. Carter just has the nasty habit of chewing on his shirt while watching TV. The second being video games. I swore my children would not play video games all day. This was fine until about a week ago and now Cooper is hooked! The big boys get mad b/c Coop wants to play every time they play.
Ambidextrous thumb-sucker...where have I seen this...?!? Oh, yeah! Our three-and-three-quarter-year-old is still sucking both his thumbs. His dentist tells him to stop. His mom and dad and grandparents and sister tell him to stop. His teachers tell him to stop. He...has sort of stopped. Does it mostly now just at night, when he's tired. It'll stop, just be patient. :o)
I know how you feel about thumbsucking. It is "yucky-yuck" as I tell Gabe. I don't recall him thumbsucking when we visited him in the baby house. It seems that he started the second we gained custody. Just glad that he's able to self-soothe. I think they'll stop when their ready.
BTW, we love his name!!!
ha ha about the things you said you would never do! I feel inspired I think I need to add a list like this to our blog. Hmm can I narrow it down to only 3 things.
So happy to hear he is doing so well. Isn't so amazing how fast they can grow, Lincoln grew one inch in four weeks. Amazing what a balance diet can do for these little guys.
Post a Comment