Sunday, June 15, 2008

Erlan goes to the Aquarium



The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a must-see when you visit Monterey. Since this is Erlan’s first trip to the area, we visited the Aquarium today with our friend Adele. Erlan’s favorite exhibits: the Splash Zone and the simulated wave. The Splash Zone is one of the kid-friendly areas in the Aquarium. They have lots of play areas for the kiddos (and the daddies)! Erlan must have gone through the tunnel 50 times. He also enjoyed playing in the water. He wasn’t too sure about the penguins though.


His very favorite thing was the simulated wave that crashes within the Aquarium. There is a walkway that you can stand in while the wave crashes overhead. There is also a large glass aquarium you can stand in front of and watch it crash. This exhibit startled Erlan each time the wave crashed. Given the horrified look on his face the first time he saw the wave, you would think that he didn’t like this exhibit. Erlan, however, enjoys being startled, and he LOVED this exhibit. Loved it. He dragged us back to this exhibit so that he could enjoy the wave again and again.

Erlan didn’t know what to make of the divers who were cleaning one of the large tanks. The divers were terrific, interacted with the crowd, and posed for pictures. To be honest, Erlan wasn’t all that interested in the fish. We would say, “Erlan look!” There were so many new things in front of him, he really didn’t know where to look.

He did enjoy watching and waving to the kayakers in the Bay. We tried to get him to look through the telescope; however, he wanted to kiss it. I wonder what he thought Ben was doing when he spent so much time looking through the telescope.

Afterwards, we enjoyed a nice lunch with Adele in Pacific Grove. I had a piece of olallieberry pie. Yummy! I love olallieberries, and you just can’t get them in the Midwest.

We are having a great time in Monterey.

9 comments:

Deb said...

Although we are glad to see Erlan is enjoying his first vacation we are ready for him to be home. We miss him!

Anonymous said...

DITTO! (to Debbie's comment). Or, I just wish I was there with you all to share in the all of the experiences. How FUN!!! I love the fact that maybe I'm going to have an adrenaline junkie nephew. HEHEHEHEH. I will definitely have to see the aquarium the next time I'm in Monterey. Tell Adele I said "hi".

Anonymous said...

I love how Erlan just goes along with whatever new adventure mommie and daddy have planned!!! We are definitely ready for him to get back home. We'll see you soon.

Regina said...

Love the updates! Glad to see you all are enjoying family life to the max! How cool that Erlan loves to be a little scared. I think that will bode well for his sense of adventure. Milan also seems to be a little daredevil, but we will find out more I'm sure when we get him home.

Our court date is July 14, so we will be headed back to Aqtobe a few days before that. We can't wait to get back and have our little guy in our arms once again.

Chris & Christy said...

Erlan is just beautiful! I haven't checked your blog in some time, sorry life is so hectic, but it is sure fun to see him at home now. He is truly a handsome little man! :) Thanks for continuing to post. Isn't it crazy how much these babies love the water? Zahri digs it too!

Christy

Alysa said...

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a must see for anyone who visits the area! I'm so glad you got to go and Erlan (and Daddy) had such a good time!

Heather said...

I've never even heard of an olallieberry. I guess I need to get out of the Midwest more.

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Awesome!

We have been to that aquarium (b.c.) I don't know how much my kids would love it, though. Everything I think they would love they hate, and vice versa.

I loved looking at the pics of him running to and fro with the waves.

KEEP BELIEVING

AhsMom said...

thanks for your compliments on my blog. it is a labor of love but it is still labor... so it's nice to know it's benefiting someone else as well.

Erlan is such an adorable boy! Congratulations on becoming a family.

btw... noticed you are in MO. we are in KS, so just a state away. :)